The ultrasonic sensor provides a very low-cost and easy method of distance measurement. This sensor is perfect for any number of applications that require you to perform measurements between moving or stationary objects. Naturally, robotics applications are very popular but you'll also find this product to be useful in security systems or as an infrared replacement if so desired. You will definitely appreciate the activity status LED and the economic use of just one I/O pin.
The Ping sensor measures distance using sonar echo; an ultrasonic (well above human hearing) pulse is transmitted from the unit and distance-to-target is determined by measuring the time required for the echo return. Output from the PING))) sensor is a variable-width pulse that corresponds to the distance to the target.
Interfacing to any microcontrollers is a snap: a single (shared) I/O pin is use to trigger the Ping sensor and "listen" for the echo return pulse. An onboard three-pin header allows the PING))) to be plugged into a solderless breadboard, and to be connected to its host through a standard three-pin servo extension cable.
- Provides precise, non-contact distance measurements within a 2 cm to 3 m range
- Simple pulse in/pulse out communication
- Burst indicator LED shows measurement in progress
- 20 mA power cosumption
- Narrow acceptance angle
- 3-pin header makes it easy to connect using a servo extension cable, no soldering required
- Power requirements: +5 VDC
- Communication:Positive TTL pulse
- Dimensions: 0.81 x 1.8 x 0.6 in (22 x 46 x 16 mm)
- Operating temp range: +32 to +158 °F (0 to +70 °C)
Parallax USA PING Ultrasonic Sensor
- Product Code: 28015
- Availability: Out Of Stock